Saturday, October 25, 2008

What's in a blog?

Middle of October, best gas price $2.64. Now playing: Cowboy Bebop: Pierrot LeFou. Japanese audio, English subtitles.

"Hello World" -- that's how the computer programmers start, isn't it?

I'm a graphics geek with really annoying timing (I finished my degree in 1983. The Mac was launched the NEXT year). Now I've got over 2-1/2 decades of print graphics experience, but what's needed now are web developers. Fine, I learned html before there were any WYSIWYG apps; I think I can take on XHTML. Actionscript may take a bit longer. Funny; I spent all that time getting a fine arts degree ("emphasis advertising" -- that's what they called it), and now I get to learn to close all my brackets. This SO wasn't in the brochure.

Discovered an artist today -- Eyvind Earle. I picked up a DVD of Disney's "Sleeping Beauty" and watched the 2nd DVD of extras. Earle was the key to the amazing graphic style of this film. The backgrounds are so beautiful; not the usual 50s Disney fare. I searched his name out on Ebay; his prints are quite the hot ticket. I will have to try his technique for doing trees. The style may be half a century old but it's still wonderful.

Pierrot has just run amok.

No comments: