Thursday, August 18, 2011

Acronym Soup

I've learned to dread the phrase "Can you send me my logo?" Years ago, that just meant sending a sheet printed logos in different sizes. Easy. Now it's this whole ordeal requiring a full-blown inquisition... what format do you want? ("Oh, I don't know...") OK, how will it be used? Is it being printed? Digital or offset? ("huh?") Somehow I have to extract a bunch of technical info from a non-technical person in order to know whether to make an rgb.jpg or a cmyk.pdf or a spot color .ai or an indexed .gif. If I just send them whatever I have on file, I inevitably get the phone call saying that wasn't what they needed... can I send it another way.... no, that wasn't it... could I just talk directly to their printer/web designer/engraver/sign maker and see what it is they need...

My opinion: The proliferation of desktop publishing software to the general public has been a wretched development. I almost think you should have to be licensed before you are allowed to handle these bytes of data. And Word should have some kind of a warning label. "You probably can't use this software for what you are planning to do."

3 comments:

softwareg1rl said...

Hi Linda, Do you have a portfolio of your work online somewhere? I'd love to take a look! Warmly, Joan McGuire Pounds

Unknown said...

Perhaps you should have classifications like "safe for general use" or "professional help required". Restricting graphics files to just the professionals is not going to fly in today's business environment

Lindamac - Still designing stuff said...

@Joan, I just now saw your comment! I'm a terrible blogger; I don't pay much attention. But yes, I do have an online portfolio. A bit dated now, and I need to update it, but here is the site:
http://homepage.mac.com/ljmcguire
There is a portfolio link there. I have been trying to get my head around the Joomla RMS so I can port the whole site over to it, but I'm having trouble learning how to customize the template. I think there are some nice DreamWeaver plugins, but first I have to be able to buy DreamWeaver (my copy is too old to load on the new machine, and also too old to qualify for the upgrade... poot!) So I have to learn it without benefit of a nice friendly interface. Daunting.